“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children…to leave the world a better place…to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thursday, October 4, 2012

Oh Harriet...

I distinctly remember reading the book Harriet the Spy (by: Louise Fitzhugh) at age 5. I was in first grade and my mom would help me read it although at certain points. I recall sounding words out and guessing what happens next while tucked into bed, not too tucked because I didn't like that but the covers were folded under me as if I were a delicate pastry, although I ALWAYS kicked the covers out ( and never wore socks). Then in 1996 the movie came out and although I didn't go see it in theaters I distinctly remember going to my best friend Christin's house and having our moms pop popcorn and chat in the kitchen  while we sat in the living room, idolizing the brave Harriet who had come to life on the silver screen. I wrote down my favorite quote all those nights ago and it reads "I want to remember everything, I want to know everything." - Harriet the Spy.

I know, I know it is hard to imagine that I remembered that long ago being 22 currently, but two things have recently occurred  ONE: I found my long lost Hello Kitty diary although it wasn't the actual Hello Kitty, it was the dalmatian dog I want to say "Spotty" ?!, and re-read it simply amazed at the fact that I literally wrote every single day, secretly wishing that I was 8 years old again, when my only problems were excelling in soccer and dealing with the frustrations of Piney Grove Elementary School. Yes, I was an AR reader and I did in fact read this book BEFORE I saw the movie ( some habits never die), however I hid this journal from my parents and especially brother... I can only recall the horrors of walking into my room and hearing my mother read my journal aloud. Yes, even at a young age, with the horridly misspelled words I wrote about boy problems, and am proud to say that my new journal, the "grown up Me" doesn't have any boy drama to worry about, much less write about. Anyways the point is, this entry has been an ode to Harriet the Spy, the real and wonderful inspiration that got me writing in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment